Enter your email to receive the FREE Money Hero Personal Finance eBook!
How to start a money-making blog using Bluehost and WordPress
Hi there! I’m going to show you how to start a money-making blog using Bluehost and WordPress in almost no time. The first thing you will need to do is head over to Bluehost to sign up for web hosting (and get a discounted rate for 12 months, as well as a free domain!) After you do that, come back to this guide and follow the steps to get yourself up and running!
As you know, personal finance is a passion of mine, and I want to share everything that I know with as many people I can. That was the driving force behind me creating Money Hero.
I think blogging is an amazing way to connect with others online, and you can even make money doing it! Ad revenue, affiliate marketing, and a personalized product are just some of the ways that you can generate a monthly income using a blog. But I will be covering making money with your blog later. For now, I want to get you up and running.
Starting a blog is a lot easier than you may think. You can have your blog set up and ready to start creating killer content for your readers in as little as 15 minutes! All you need is a topic, a domain name and hosting, and have WordPress installed on your site. After your site is up and running and you’ve gotten some content, you can start think about monetizing your blog.
Pick a topic to write about
The first step to creating a blog is to know what you want to write about. I chose personal finance because I love managing my money wisely and sharing what I know with others. You can pick whatever topic you like, whether it’s food, travel, sports, books, or anything else that you find interesting. Of course, this is an incredibly important first step to starting a blog. If you don’t have a clear focus on what you want to write about, it will be harder to drive traffic and keep the attention of your readers.
Sign up for a hosting account with Bluehost
Bluehost is an incredibly popular hosting company and the one that I use for Money Hero. I’ve used several different hosts with other websites that I’ve created, and Bluehost has by far been the best. You can easily start a blog with Bluehost for less than $4/month! This will get you set up with a hosting package for your site, as well as a unique, personalized domain name of your choosing.
You have your choice of 3 different packages. I personally chose the basic package. If you’re a pro (which means that you probably wouldn’t need this tutorial), you can go ahead and sign up for one of the the more advanced plans. However, the basic package should be more than enough for your current needs.
Choose a domain name
Now that you know what you want to write about, and you’ve gotten started setting up your account with Bluehost, it’s time to decide on a domain name. You can buy a unique domain name on the cheap directly through Bluehost.
Try to choose something original, that accurately represents what your blog is about. Many of your best ideas for a domain name will be take, but don’t get discouraged! Take some time and think about what you want to name your blog. I highly recommend sticking with a .com domain name, and nothing that’s too long or complicated.
I knew pretty early on that I wanted to name my site Money Hero. It’s simple, to the point, and easy to remember. Since moneyhero.com was taken, I settled on moneyheroblog.com for the time being.
Install WordPress on your Bluehost site
Next we’re going to install WordPress for free on your new site! This part is incredibly easy, as Bluehost does most of the heavy lifting for you. Once you’ve created and are logged into your site and are in your Bluehost cPanel,
- Click “Install WordPress” under the section titled Website.
- Then choose which domain that you want to install WordPress on and click ‘Next’
- On the next page, you will have the option to choose the site name, admin email address, username and password for your WordPress site. I suggest using a combination that is not easily guessed, but something that you can remember. Be sure to write your credentials down and store them somewhere safe.
- Next, make sure “Automatically create a new database for this installation” is checked and click ‘Next’
- After that, Bluehost will install WordPress on your site! Now you’re ready to start adding useful plugins and theme
Helpful WordPress tips
- You can access the admin portal to your WordPress site by going to http://[www.yourwebsitedomain.com]/wp-admin/
- The first thing you will see is your Dashboard, with a sidebar on the left of the page. This is the quick access menu for all of the features that WordPress has to offer. You can install super useful plugins via the Plugins tab, and themes via Appearance > Themes
- Next, you can add new posts and new pages by clicking Posts and Pages in the sidebar, respectively
- The Media tab is the one you will use if you want to upload images to your account to use in your page
- Widgets that are used in your sidebar can be found under Appearance > Widgets
How to start a money-making blog and drive traffic
Now that you have your blog up and running, it’s time to start monetizing it. Some of the ways to monetize a blog include:
- Affiliate Marketing – Affiliate marketing is one of the easiest ways to make money online. An affiliate is someone who promote’s a company’s product on their site. If a reader clicks that link and buys the product or signs up for the service through the blogger’s link, the blogger gets a commission from the sale. Affiliate marketing is a good way to make passive income.
- Ad Revenue – This is a standard way to make money on a blog. Ad networks such as Google’s AdSense will let you display ads on your site. For each person that clicks an ad on your site, you will get paid a small amount. To be successful with ads, you’ll need a ton of traffic though.
- Sponsored Posts – Sometimes companies will approach you directly to write a sponsored post. This is another type of ad, which is generally a review of a product or something that endorses that company. In this case, the company will pay you directly to write and/or post on your site.
- Products and Services – When you get knowledgeable in your field, you can start selling products and services directly to consumers. This can include things such as eBooks and courses, or services such as helping people with their finances for a fee.
Now, nothing is overnight. It will still take time and a lot of hard work to start bringing in money. Driving traffic to your site is pretty much necessary to start bringing in real money. I suggest getting familiar with social media, and sites such as Pinterest. Pinterest is one of the best ways to drive traffic to your site! I will cover in a later post all of my tips for driving traffic using Pinterest.
And there you have it. You’ve got your WordPress site up and running, you’ve got it hosted, and you’re ready to go! I told you that I could show you how to start a money-making blog in almost no time! That was the easy part. Next comes the time to create killer content and drive traffic to your site! After that, you’ll start to see results over time. It will take a lot of hard work and discipline to start getting traffic. I will discuss all of my traffic driving techniques in a later post. But until then, good luck!